Saturday, March 11, 2006

Songbirds learn to sing at night....

The deep is such a dark place...and cold.
Night and winter in this world are but hints of it.
Still we know to be afraid, even in our short-sightedness.
Out of whose womb came the ice, the terrible crystal, said Job.
The face of the deep is frozen, said Ezra.
Darkness was on the face of the deep, said Creation.

Is this the end, then? Cold, dark dormancy as we numbly drift into the sleep of death, never even knowing?
He makes a path to shine, said Job.
Rays of light flash from his hands, where his awesome power is hidden, says Habakkuk.
Bless the Lord, you servants who stand by night in the house of the Lord, say those who are brave enough to sing the Song of Ascents.

What is the reason for it all, then? We do not know, so we choose to think You, too, are ignorant...and that is in our gracious moments. More often, we choose to think You do not care. But if we listen closer, what will we hear in the cold dark?
I form the light and create darkness,
I make peace and create calamity...
Woe to him who strives with his maker...
I will give you the treasures of darkness, says God,
through Isaiah.
What I tell you in darkness, speak in the light, says God, through Matthew.

And so the moon sings, before she goes dim:

I will shine brightest just before the dawn...and I thrill at the breaking of day.
Am I jealous of the sun, who will come with so much brightness?
How can I be jealous, don't I know better than any that my brightness comes from him? Leads to him?
So I watch with much alertness, for the grey line at the horizon...the herald of his coming.
I sigh, knowing soon I will rest.
For brightening a dark, cold world is a lot of work
For reflected light to do.
Soon he'll have his day...and then
Even brighter light shall come.

For finally...John speaks his Revelation:
Behold, He is coming in clouds...(of storm and darkness, but then...)

"The city had no need of the sun or of the moon to shine, for the very glory of God illuminates it. The Lamb is its light," said John, as he saw the end of all things as we know them...and the beginning of things we do not yet know.



No comments: