Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Twice yesterday I nearly died...

...due to impatient drivers. In one instance, I literally threw my hands over my face, and wished I'd called my husband one more time that day to say farewell. I was sitting "dead" still, waiting patiently for a little mail truck to make a left turn in front of me. Unfortunately, a car from as far behind me as maybe Saturn or Neptune decided to pass us all because we were just too d*** slow. As a result, he nearly plowed the little mail truck right through my windshield. And that was the second such incident of the day. It was enough to inspire me to spend time in the Good Book and talking to my Maker. I composed the following little "Psalm" which I have entitled The Power Paradox
Everybody elbows in to get to the top,
to get to the front.
Then everybody complains about overcrowding
and other people's selfishness.
Here is the secret place, safe from all that:
The back.
The bottom.
The meadow after everyone else's feet have already trampled it.
The dark damp basement in lieu of the airy penthouse.
Behind everyone, below everyone
Is freedom
Time and space for change.
People don't bother you about the changes you're making
...when you're not trying to get ahead of them.

I was actually inspired not only by drivers, but by the following verse:
"I will give you the treasures of darkness
And hidden riches of secret places,
That you may know that I, the Lord,
Who calls you by your name,
Am the God of Israel. (Isaiah 45:3)
This promise was given to an unbelieving king...so maybe the impatient driver has some hope yet.
But the funny thing is that while I wrote my little rhythm-less, rhyme-less sonnet yesterday, I went to a chapel service today and found almost my exact "psalm" echoed in the words of the speaker...only he quoted the following: "Jesus asked his disciples, 'What were you discussing out on the road?' But they didn't answer, because they had been arguing about which among them was the greatest. He sat down, called the twelve over and said, 'Whoever wants to be first must take last place and be the servant of everyone else." (Mark 9:33-35)
Servant, hm? So I guess I should have finished my little Psalm by agreeing to whistle an invitation up to all who cared to look over their shoulders. Just maybe they'd even turn around and come back to join the party we're having...at the back of the line.

No comments: