Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Swimming Upstream...

Ok...first things first...I am not a writer. Oh, I know how to write (thanks to Mrs. Proctor in 1st grade), and I know many large, hard to spell words. I always found the tools and the activity, however, to be relatively independent of each other. The act of writing itself, except in completely productive ventures, is hard for me to sustain. I enter with great expectations (pun intended), but the will to persevere ebbs over time. Historically, the pace of my life is just too uneven to establish the habit. So we are faced with the first question, boys and girls....is writing a habit? I tend to think not. We do what we love. We do what we perceive to be a strength. We do what we, in the final analysis, want to do. My wife is a prolific writer. She writes about many things, and she does so with flair, wit, and insight. The fabric of her writing, however, is woven with the thread of her loves. God, family, her quest discover the person she is destined to be. All loves, all passions. She has the desire to chronicle her thoughts....for an audience of one....herself. Her writing is her way of giving life to her thoughts, exposing them to the unflinching light of "real".

So.....what does that say about me...my hope is that this blog will allow me, force me, to give life, give "real" to my own thoughts and loves. I know they are in there. I can bring them into focus in my minds eye, but, exclusive of my love for my family, they have never really been exposed in any more detail than you would see through rather thick bathrooom glass. I know that I could care less whether another soul reads these inane musings, and for that I guess I am ahead of the game on my internal scoreboard. My hope is that they don't resemble something from the keyboard of some warped Larry King news and views....the pointless stream of consciousness that already runs through my mind. So as I embark on what to me is something akin to the journey of those salmon I saw in those mind-numbingly boring 5th grade nature films, don't say I didn't warn you...

No comments: