Thursday, February 16, 2006

Love in the workplace...

expect something steamy to follow? Or at least some stats and maybe a line graph or two? Sorry.
What strikes me today is that I am exposed to massive displays of love in the workplace every day...and it is making me something of a pariah everywhere else.
For instance, I know whose marriage is on the rocks and I know to give her a little extra grace because of it. I know who is nervous about her angry brother coming to visit the next weekend. I know whose kid is out of work and out of money. I know who is going on a fabulous spiritual retreat next weekend and how I can secretly be a part of it. I know who is still bleeding from kidney stone surgery, but is getting better every day. I know whose kid isn't going to make it in his current educational setting, and whose kid is a walking success story. I know who to cry with, and I know who to laugh with.
I see hugs all the time: people touching each other in warm comraderie or in comfort, whichever happens to apply. I cover work that someone can't get to alone, and someone else covers my butt when needed. I share with others, searching with open hearts as we look at what we are doing that works, what we are doing that doesn't work and what we dream to do someday.
Most of all, I know that if it came to choosing between doing a good thing for me or doing a good thing for themselves, the people I work with would choose to do the good thing for me. It happened just on Valentine's Day...so I do have a current statistic on that one. (grin)
How is it that it doesn't occur to me to be thankful...every single day!

No comments: