Monday, July 10, 2006

Parallel dreams again...

...I don't know if you will be anywhere near a computer any time soon; and as I go down to be with Kath through her surgery, I don't know if I'll be able to get back on one again before the week is out. But this was too strange for me to hit the road before I recorded it. Maybe you'll have a chance to read it before the week is out. You know how we came to a sense of clarity and a type of resignation to how things were supposed to "work?" You know how you were laying this week in front of God for Him to make any revisions He might want before you went into action on what He has already said? Then you had the strange dream last night where you were ordering at a burger joint before going to a place that from a distance looked like hills and lakes but turned into a swimming complex of many pools. That this was a place where you had worked before, but now it was a lot more high tech. Nolan was there and tried to get into a frozen one. You pulled him back behind the fencing around this strange pool. As for your own interactions with the water, you jumped in fully dressed and surfaced to put your wallet and keys on the side. Did I get most of that right?

...Listen to what Nolan dreamed. He dreamed he was at something that seemed to him to be like an amusement park, only he couldn't see any of the rides. All he could see was a tall mountain that was in the center of a huge lake. You could jump off the side of the mountain and swim, or you could parachute down from the top to the lake below and swim. He had dreamed of this place before, but when he was there in a previous dream, he was alone. This time, you and Elijah and two men were with him. He said you worked at a diner affiliated with the park the whole time, but that he jumped off the mountain and swam. He said the funny thing was that none of you were wearing swimsuits, you just swam in your regular clothes. Then he got out and went sliding, but not on ice...on some type of pipe like you'd use for skate boarding, only he had no board; he slid with his feet.

The parallel or at least corresponding imagery between you two astounds me. I don't pretend to know what any of it means, but I thought you'd be interested to read how much you two dreamed in tandem this morning. He dreamed his dream about the same time you were telling me yours, because he said I woke him as the sliding part was finishing to tell him I was taking you to the airport. The only thing that comes to my mind is that his duplication reminds me how it seems you two have some connection that keeps appearing in both your dreams. Also, that the next part of your dream...where you were at an airport full of angels and you saw a plane unable to land because its landing gear was stuck, making you wonder what you'd say if you were on a similar plane and had to make a last illegal call home to us to say goodbye to the answering machine...and that you wanted something different from that...that a voice in your head said "Why wait to tell them?" Nolan had no parallel to this part of your dream...but maybe the point of his having any parallel was to say "These dreams are important...don't think of them as merely subconscious backwash."

I will pray for you. I think it is a good idea to write those letters to the kids, telling them what you don't want to have to say in a rush or leave unsaid if death--or strange separation--comes in an untimely fashion. I will do this, too. For I also had a dream, one I will tell them. I will tell them I dreamed about giving them each an old-world blessing...walking past them as they stood in a line, laying my hands on them and offering them something like a spiritual legacy or heritage. To Matthew, that he be a stronghold. To Elijah, that he be joyful. To Nolan, that he be loving. I woke not having a clue why there seemed to be such weight to these blessings nor having a clue how each characteristic was designated specifically to each child. I should write these letters, too, I believe.

Remember how I told you about my musings over the life that we find in good words, eternal words? It is time for us to write some. I love you.

No comments: