Wednesday, May 17, 2006

You believe what!?!

Tomorrow or the next day, I think I'll offer to cover the high school Bible class that is without a teacher for these last two weeks of school. I think we'll talk about what this comment means: "I am a Christian." When I was young, this comment meant basically the same thing to everyone...albeit there were variances, particular of the Catholic versus Protestant vein. But now, making such a statement can mean this: I believe Jesus sired offspring who moved to France, chose Judas as His betrayer because of Judas' higher faith, and then later after Jesus came out of the tomb, He moved to India, did a little more stuff there and died again to be permanently buried in Kashmir alongside Moses. Moses!?! When did Mount Nebo...where scripture says Moses died...end up in Kashmir? I know he didn't wander up the wrong mountain...all the way over in India because Deuteronomy 34 says "Moses was 120 years old when he died, yet his eyesight was clear." ) Last night I heard a Christian apologist make the comment "We are a people who can say quite clearly what we believe, just not why. We have a dogma not a committment to a personal God."

No comments: