Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Emperor's New Clothes...

...today I saw the antithesis of the old fairy tale where the Emperor--due to falsely inflated, egotistical dignity--is coaxed into marching around town in the buff.

Contradictory to this emperor, the friend I saw today, (yet another example of the dark and light contrast I mentioned in my last blog) sacrificed his dignity for the sake of other people's hearts. He allowed his honor to lay in question, without storming the doors in defense of his dignity, because such an assault would have left casulties, and he is too kind to do that. Ironically, such a loss of baseline dignity--to those who can really see and hear when it happens--creates an even greater dignity. It becomes like diamonds that change from this: tough little mountain droppings to this: rainbow-flashing facets that dazzle the eyes.

So as a tribute to you, Greg (and I know you're not perfect, and I know you thoughtlessly brought this problem on yourself, but nevertheless your walk in this type of honor)...for you, here are a couple of fun quotes that have to do with people and dignity.

"...the first notice his Excellence received of the intrusion was when from his garden he heard the gradually nearing uproar of expostulation and the answering bull-roar of inarticulate swearing. Slowly, he lay down his garden trowel; slowly he stood up; and slowly, he frowned. There in his garden, no one disturbed him--no one!
Inevitably, he said, "What is the meaning of this?"
It is the precise question and the precise wording thereof that has been put to the atmosphere on such occasions by an incredible variety of men since humanity was invented. It is not recorded that it has ever been asked for any purpose other than dignified effect."
from Foundation and Empire, by Isaac Asimov

"...and in the evenings I lie in bed and watch television. When you are a writer and a speaker, you aren't supposed to watch television. It's shallow. I feel guilty because for a long time I didn't allow myself a television, and I used to drop that fact in conversation to impress people. I thought it made me sound dignified. A couple of years ago, however, I visited a church in the suburbs, and there was this blowhard preacher talking about how television rots your brain. He said that when we are watching television our minds are working no harder than when we are sleeping. I thought that sounded heavenly. I bought one that afternoon."
from Blue Like Jazz, by Donald Miller

You're going to be fine, friend. Better than most.

No comments: