Tuesday, May 02, 2006

I finally watched Casablanca...

...last night for the first time. All these years...and I'd never seen it. I've watched Harry and Sally (in When Harry Met Sally) watch Casablanca plenty of times, but never had I seen it for myself. But I understand now why it has lasting appeal.

Plenty of contemporary movies offer the "animal passion held at bay" scenario for a while, but then there is always the violent sex scene on the stairs, against the backyard fence...whatever is most immediately convenient and at least smacks of privacy. Very few movies, however, take that passion scene and run it instead to the absolute dregs of unrequited chivalry. Love as embers that could be stirred but never are. Somehow such a story raises the image of true passion an exponential leap above what is described as "steamy, sexy, sultry, etc." on a playbill nowadays.

My hubby and I just had an interesting chat about all this. I told him that to me it is like the difference between being male and female versus being masculine and feminine. Males and females rut like animals in heat. But those endowed with the power to be truly masculine and feminine can hold each other loosely in that Casablanca way if they must. In so doing, they hold each other tighter and longer and certainly more beautifully than the rutters are able to do. Love on a different plane. Love that goes to the end of life wanting what is best for the other person.

He and I do that 5 days a week, while he is on the road. Then of course is the scene on the stairs, against the backyard fence...

2 comments:

Deb said...

Guess who is building a fence next weekend.....

Deb said...

Funny you should mention Babel...Scott had a dream in which he was accused by some public speaker of being Nimrod...who is after all Babel's founding father. You guys are two peas in a pod! What's a romantic hearted gal to do with the likes of you two?