Monday, May 15, 2006

Mother's Day +1

I didn't get a blog on yesterday...but here is what is on my mind as a mom.
These are some of the things I hope that I might not just say, but might actually live in front of my children. If these could be my true legacy, I would feel I lived that part of my life--motherhood--well:

1)"Rejoice with those who rejoice...life in harmony with one another; do not be haughty...never be conceited. Repay no one evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all." Romans 12:15-18

2)"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anyone." First Thessalonians 4:11-12.

3)"What happens when we live God's way?...We develop a willingness to stick with things...We find ourselves involved in loyal commitments." Galatians 5:22

4)"Make sure that you don't get so absorbed and exhausted in taking care of all your day-by-day obligations that you lose track of the time and doze off, oblivious to God." Romans 13:11

5)"Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it." Romans 12:2

And most of all, I pray that I could honestly echo Christ in saying this--
"I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me." John 8:28.


By way of self-assessment, I know I am a better "walking testimonial" for some of these than for others...and I'm not much good at doing multiples of them in concert...I tend to get mad and/or irrational when too much "high road" walking is required of me. (Like Bill Cosby, I can be driven to insanity and known to make ridiculous pronouncements: "No one is ever to look at anyone else in this house ever again!" after hearing "He's looking at me..." whined over and over and over and over...)
I also falter when these opportunitites for displaying righteous living come at me in the Chinese Water Torture format.

But hopefully in the end, my children could reflect on this list and recall at least one or two times when I have shown them a life lived by these principles. More importantly, I hope they have the wisdom to look back for these character gems in their mother in the first place.

No comments: