Saturday, April 29, 2006

You will perfect that which concerns me...revisited

I first wrote of my "cardinal in winter" metaphor when it was winter. I wrote of how this bird has been an intimate little scarlet thread woven between God and me over the years. I thought of how scarlet dye was made in days of old: how mother worms died clinging to trees, both birthing and protecting their offspring until the moment of independent new life. In death these mothers spread the precious scarlet that was then collected and used in dyes.

Today, I found a place of acceptance that is a less morbid way of thinking. My last blog shows as much. Then tonight, all through dinner, I had that noble bird visit me again. I watched him prance around in the backyard...but this cardinal did not sit in stark relief against dead brown winter leaves and grass. Nor was he stirring up the velvety, white powder of winter's swan song, the final dregs of last year's plant life losing form and distinction. The final dust in the dust to dust adage. No...tonight I watched him dance in a sea of strong vital green--emerald everywhere around him. I realized his color was no less eye-catching here than it was when he sat in the drabness of winter...in fact the pairing with spring's green made him glow.
I wrote of my cardinal in winter metaphor when it was winter. I hope now my cardinal in the spring means a larger spring as well.

No comments: