Monday, April 10, 2006

I got nothin'

After a day of feeling like a heavenly tsunami struck the shore of our lives, today it was business as usual. My math classes covered integers: positives and negative stringing out from the point called the origin, also known as zero. Their head exploded when we began talking about why subtracting a negative amounts to adding a positive. Every year it's the same thing. (Imagine calculating the temperature difference between the hottest place on earth and the coldest...you end up adding the negative cold temp as a positive to the hot temp to get the range.) Sometimes just the right example will make the fuzz that grows over their brains and out their eyeballs begins to clear, but only momentarily. It's all Greek again when it comes to solving that first problem independently. What a life metaphor for how things have been for us of late, huh, sweety? Don't you feel like we too are learning such a backwards feeling concept as if for the first time. You're not stupid; I'm not stupid--but the light bulb of "why" fails to come on. (sigh) Always before, faith brought understanding, but after the fact. Guess there's every chance it will happen again. Why not? But for now...I'm sitting on the origin; and like my kids in class, about all I'm interested in doing is playing...this is just too darn complicated for me. It's the first day back after break, so I'll play their little game with them: how many ways can you say "nothing" anyway, besides zero and origin, like we learned today?
Well, there's zilch, nada, zip, none, not any, not one, no one, I could get cryptic and talk about "none" being the fifth of the canonical hours. Then there's to no extent, in no way, by no means, and not at all. These are all fitting (well, except maybe the canonical hours thing, I don't know what the heck that means) to describe how deep is my perception of what God is wanting to accomplish through us, my dear one. Glad He's got it all figured out anyway.
Obviously I'd never make it as a Gnostic, eh? Nope! (Last one. Really...or not. OK, I'm finished...finis...ending...concluding...

No comments: