Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Playing with God (also subtitled: Today I Was a Viking for You)

Playful interchange with God is something we forget to enjoy, I fear. Maybe we consider it disrespectful, but what better indication that you are in close relationship than to laugh with the one you love? On that last night that Jesus spent with his human companions, He said that He called them not servants but rather friends, brothers. How do you interact with a friend? It is with a friend that you play and simply enjoy "being." Now more than ever, I appreciate that side of our relationship, O God.

I think of the first time You startled me with the sense of it. I had just changed my work schedule to offer me more free time. I had been working at a church that used one morning a week as a staff meeting time. I had been required to attend these meetings until the job change. These staff meetings were held in a dark room with a big conference table, everything dark wood and dark red carpet and dark books on dark book shelves. It all reminded me of the "scary bedroom" where Jane was banished as a punishment, where she literally collapsed in terror in the book, Jane Eyre. All was perpetually dark and gloomy-looking. Similarly, our discussions around that table were frequently utilitarian and often full of discouragement. Sometimes they could be uplifting, but always they had that ho-hum element of the business of running the Church in the US of A. Good people, important discussions, but something always made me dread those meetings.

That first week after I downscaled my role at the church and no longer attended staff meeting, I spent the newly free hour picking violets out in the sun, and praying. It was one of the first times I really sensed You simply enjoying being with me. In fact, I could almost "see" You lounging there beside me, twirling a flower in Your hand as You said, "You don't know how much I prefer being taken out places like this as compared to being locked up in conference rooms all the time." I was startled. I hadn't processed this truth: with Your church serving as Your hands and feet, You essentially promised to go where Your people take You. Sadly that often means You don't get to go to our favorite places, the places we relax, have fun and simply enjoy being alive. How many of us think to take You along when we go the places we most enjoy? So ever since then, I try to remember to "include" You in more than just the catastrophic moments of my life. I figure You deserve some joy, too.

Today, we again had a playful interchange in which You startled me. Today was Day 2 of "Spirit Week" at my school. Yesterday's theme was "Black-out Day" with all-black attire being our assignment. The man giving morning devotions stood in front of this group of teachers and said, "I feel like I should give a eulogy," for the theme was so easy to implement that we all came in costume. But today's theme was "What I want to be when I grow up." Immediately, I thought Viking, and here's why. We recently had to purchase a Viking costume for our 11-year-old so that he can be Leif Ericsson on Explorer Day. We hardly have the money right now to be going into a costume shop and plopping down the $$ required for this wad of faux fur and the accompanying "leather" gauntlets, so my thought was to double the value of the purchase by wearing it myself for this "career day" at my own school. But here's the catch. I teach at a Christian school, so how do I justify coming as a Viking? For as the students rightly said, "Vikings? But they're all gone, aren't they?" This is the challenge I laid at Your feet with folded arms, raised brows and a slow nod. "You said You'd give us something to say in our hour of need, so do something with this one, God," I said.

Your immediate response to my playful challenge? "Why obviously you're using Leif Ericsson symbolically, for as a Christian you, too, seek a new world...a new heaven and new earth...that are beyond the monster-ridden seas in the place that half humanity doesn't even believe exists. But you're Lady Leif Ericsson instead of Lady Columbus because you're just not into the notoriety."

"Well-spoken," I said.

So I went as a Viking, and gave them Your rationale for the choice, which made my co-workers laugh right along with us, God. But the most fun I/we had today was obviously during the commute. Driving along, swinging my stein of coffee, while rapping with my son's Toby Mac CD and looking like a Viking, who knew this would be enough to cause the traffic to part for me like the Red Sea parted for the children of Israel. In fact, it confirms what Life...that's life not leif this time...has been teaching me lately: when for the sake of God's image you're willing to be of no repute amongst the heathen, then whole new vistas of opportunity come open before you.

No comments: