Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Cinderella Man, Part 2

Do you remember when I blogged last winter/spring about the movie we watched? About the love of that man for his family? Today I thought of it again with good reason.

Folding load after load at the Laundromat because your home appliances are on the blink offers a person thinking time. Thinking beats listening to the Bee Gees sing "More Than A Woman" over the crackly sound system. Making small talk with the guy folding clothes next to you who says things like, "I work with a lot of people who wear high heels every day. Do you know people like that?" filled some time, but he finished the job and left.

So I thought about the people whose clothes I folded. I reflected on the things they did in these clothes. I realized how many things I've watched you do, my love, in your diligence to keep your family comfortable. I've watched you walk out the door on your way to do everything from pest control to air freshener installation to contracting lamas for fundraisers for the American Heart Association. I've watched you do everything from loading soda machines to teaching bright-eyed youngsters to swim. I've seen you play drums and basketball, doing both as a volunteer, making other people's spiritual encounters richer.

Mostly, I've seen your amazing adaptability. One day you can be walking along Times Square in a business suit, and a few weeks later you're driving a delivery truck, proving yourself remarkably adept at both. I know very few men who had that kind of resiliency and facility to slip in and out of life roles...someone like Steinbeck maybe, but then his work was all research. Yours is life. Cinderella man.

No comments: