Sunday, December 31, 2006

Synchronicities...the Butterfly

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." --C.S. Lewis

So small and insignificant seems the living parable of this thought from one of the great theologians of our day. It can be seen in those species who experience metamorphosis.

There is a forum I visit with about the same infrequency but also with the same deep warmth of heart one experiences regarding a homeplace church. A friend at that forum posted the following ideas, and they are so closely related to things I've been praying over some other dear friends...even down to the butterfly imagery...that I had to make a note of it. Also, because her words are powerful and beautiful.

On December 26, she posted:
I am not fond of the butterfly because she is delicate and cute. I am so drawn to her, who was once such an ugly a thing, desired bigger things. She found the slightest amount of courage and hope to search for just the right leaf to veil herself beneath, not knowing what would happen after that…and in her cocoon as she waited and waited, and fasted and prayed, one day erupted out of her self-made prison. Completely free, such a beautiful little creature, fluttering and flying without much effort because the gentle winds are so kind to her. She no longer “crawls through disappointment and despair,” as in the poem I have hanging on my wall. She has wings, and all her life from here on out is from flower to flower. I love her because I hope that we share something, her and I both: a story.

God.. please just change me..

On December 28, she added:
I've come to understand that I am in a place in between desolation, doubt and freedom, joy and restoration. Somedays I am walking in my inner groan and saddness, other days, in a heavenly embrace and reassurance. Visiting both lands, caught between the two. The middle place is my hope, my faith.. my growing trust in the Father..I'm getting bigger, but it's all secret. It is important that I stay in my cocoon for now, protected from outside dangers, held firmly, a safe place to grow.Until I'm out there in the open for all too see..But, I think I know how transformation takes place..It's in our feeling most empty, most alone. Most honest and real about our powerless condition.Then, something Divine happens.We are right where he wants us to be.All our grasping and reaching and arranging has stopped because it has been proved useless. We have already sewn ourselves shut. What else is there? Nothing.Just when we think it is over..we're wrong. The huge whole in our hearts is not fatal, actually, it't working for us, not against us.For now there is space for Someone greater than our doubts about Him to step in and take a look around the place. To enter into the deepest parts of you and begin His work, His healing grace. The transformation Has already been destined for you.There is nothing else, but to be consumed by the love we lost so long ago that we forgot we ever had it.And one day, after it has been just Him and you in the deepest darkest part of your soul, your eye catches a light from the outside.With Him inside of you, you've grown to big for this place...A gentle and warm assurance arrests you, as He speaks softly,"It's time.."
Love, Patience

1 comment:

Shepherd Michael said...

Beautiful!

Thanks for your encouraging words.
And I'm praying for John.

Shepherd Michael