Thursday, December 21, 2006

Let Them Eat Cake...

...but let me designate whether it is to be Pillsbury or Betty Crocker, so I can get my 5-spot.
In the news:

PayPerPost lets advertisers tell bloggers about word-of-mouth marketing opportunities such as a new gadget or shoe. Advertisers set a price of $5 or more per post, and willing bloggers respond. The better the price, the more quickly spots fill up. The Orlando, Fla., company brokers the payments.
Bloggers are free to trash products or write neutral reviews, but advertisers can specify whether they pay only for positive write-ups.


We were talking just the other day how our blog is just for us, and how no one else in the world would really give a rat's you-know-what to read our drivel...one man's treasure is another man's trash...all that. But I guess there are other bloggers out there who are (and maybe rightfully) optimistic about the proliferation of their dedicated readers, confident enough that they are ready to pull the cyber diary out from under the bed, unlock it, and start pasting in some ad copy.

But even more optimistic, I'd say, is the sponsor. Makes me want to approach my hair spray company and say, "Hey, I do 'commercials' in the mirror with your product every morning. Trust me, others see and hear (like the kids, the family dog...) 'Keeps hair in place without looking stiff--' So show me the money--cha-ching."

No comments: