Saturday, August 05, 2006

Invisible Ink

Yesterday I wrote this to a friend:
Here is what happened to me when I tried to read your document...only the title, scripture from Romans, and the words of Solomon showed up, the rest was invisible: dark words against a dark background; but when I highlighted it and pasted it onto a white page, it was all there.
This is a thing I've been seeing lately, not just in this instance, but also with white words disappearing against a white background...


Today I see this in the news:
Ancient Writings Revealed!After figuring out the answer to a problem, the mathematician and engineer Archimedes once shouted "Eureka!" and ran naked through the streets. The enthusiastic Sicilian lived between 287-212 B.C., and is widely recognized today as one of the most important minds of ancient Greece. At some point along the way, the science whiz recorded some of his ideas on a papyrus manuscript. In the Middle Ages, though, a monk wrote over the manuscript to create a prayer book. It wasn't until 1906 that the underlining layer of Archimedes' writing was discovered. And it wasn't until August 4, 2006 (today!) that an x-ray at the Stanford Synchotron Radiation Laboratory cut through the monk's notations to read the Greek text below. Or so the Exploratorium, Stanford University, and the National Science Foundation hope. Follow along on their live webcast as the x-ray examines the 1,000-year-old document and the results are transmitted simultaneously around the world. We'll be listening for shouts of "Eureka!"

So regarding the invisible words phenomenon, I see that You have indeed put before my love and me a page that we know contains words, vitally important words, but for now they are invisible ones, hidden beneath the obvious ones...and it is Your wish that we see these words. So I lift this song for us with the Psalmist who said, "Make me understand what you want; for then I shall see your miracles." Psalm 119:27 and this "I gain understanding from your precepts; therefore I hate every wrong path." Psalm 119:104. Help us see your invisible words. Help us understand Your will for each of us and each for the other. Help us look deeper than the question "why?" Give us insight into each other's questions and inspiration. Help us identify with each other in Your ways. You created us both, and You lead what happens to us together. Help us bring out the best in each other! We know the answers we need, both the obvious ones and the ones in invisible ink...ink scraped and written over with new words...these answers will nevertheless be found in You.

2 comments:

Shepherd Michael said...

Scott & Deb,
Just thougt I drop in and say "Hi" and thanks for the cool comment on my blog.
From reading what you have here, it looks like we are operating on the same frequency. Papa God is so cool.
God's Grace, Love and Peace to you.

Deb said...

Welcome...I'm finding that several of us who "already knew each other" in one community are discovering our common membership here in yet another community...
So thanks for dropping by for a visit...the door's always open...that is,as long as you don't mind the house being a mess sometimes...and that's both a literal truth and a cyber one, I'm afraid. (wink)