Friday, June 08, 2007

The Sanctuary of the Dream Giver

This morning I think I found the capstone to this series of stone stories, the one that tops the memorial we've been building. It is in our line of sight, but first we must finish our time in the place I've learned to call Sanctuary.

I'm reading a book by Wilkinson (author of the bestselling Prayer of Jabez books) called The Dream Giver. The book tells the story of the common journey taken by all people called ordinary who accept an out-of-the-ordinary, God-given dream. We have a God-given dream, and we recognize ourselves in various phases of its coming to fruition. My love and I chatted about it. We spoke of the various places we think we might be walking in the book's parable landscape: in the wastelands of disillusionment and faith-growth? Battling bullies who are afraid and stand to lose a comfort of their own if we pursue the dream? Are we even each other's bullies in it? But actually, as I read on, I think we are in the place he called Sanctuary, even while moving to the Land of Giants.

Here is sanctuary. It is the place where God says, "Come to the water" where we are cleansed. This has happened. It is the place where God says, "Come into the light" where deeper communion with Him becomes apparent. We've also seen that happening. We've experienced its benefits and challenges. Finally, it is the place where God says, "Come higher." It is here that He asks us to abandon our dream to Him. Let it go--but because we love Him.

"One plants and one waters, but it is the Lord who gives the increase..." I read in my Bible study the other day. This verse can only prove true in our lives if we have genuinely let the Dream go--not in resignation that we aren't strong enough, good enough, wise enough, etc. to make it happen, but let it go as an act of will and commitment to Him above all else.

I remember that dream in which He asked me, "Would you be her?" about a certain woman. It was not "would you accomplish the tasks she represents?" but "would you be her?" He then asked me later "Would you give Him to Me?" about a certain Child. And I wonder whether I am coming to the place of finishing my answer to these questions even now. I hadn't put significance to the wording before; but "give" means more today than it did yesterday. Give says "Surrender on a higher level--prove the DreamGiver to be more significant than the Dream."

"If you don't surrender your Dream, you will be placing it higher on your priority list than God...Your Dream will become your idol," says Wilkinson. I realize that this is the very fundamental shift of focus that I have been going through lately. I have been seeing more about who I am above what I am called to do. Many little things remind me to continue holding this being above doing. It is one of the ways of being a child, for what can a child really "do" to make him/herself of value to others? Yet this deceptive lie has haunted me since childhood: your value is found in what you do, not in who you are. I was taught this in childhood as I was forced to care for my infant sister when I myself was only 6-7 and very aware of my woeful inadequacy for the task. I re-teach it to myself every day when life circumstances whisper, "What you do is the key to success or failure in this thing, and in most things."

Still, You come to remind me to reject this lie about my value. Just the other day, Elijah was reading in a Highlights magazine the following question: How are a fork and spoon alike? My first thought: you eat with them both. His first comment: they are both made of silver. Oh, that I might have again the mind of my child. Help me, Lord, to release this death-grip I have on the "doings" of life that are so prominent in this mid-life stage.

No comments: