Sunday, December 06, 2009

peeling death away..the Crystal Spectre, part II

Prophesy according to the measure of your faith the New Testament tells us.



When the bride moves from betrothal to honeymoon to beyond...how does prophecy define the change in her state of being, in her role and in her purpose now as bride of the Christ? Is she there simply to gain peace and prestige for herself; or is there some larger, more glorious purpose--one that is larger than her own personal security?



Oswald Chambers gives something of an answer to the question when he comments on Eccl. 7:1. "A good name is better than precious ointment, and the day of death than the day of one's birth." Oswald says this verse is not about reputation--as many think at first blush. Rather, it is about character. "Everyone who comes across a good nature is made better by it, unless he or she is determined to be bad...The test of a nature is the atmosphere it produces. When we are in contact with a good nature we are uplifted by it. We do not get anything we can state articulately, but the horizon is enlarged, the pressure is removed from the mind and heart, and we see things differently." How often, God, have I experienced that very thing after a time with Thee! And I have known a few people who have moved within a cloud of that peace-inducing spiritual "mist" he describes.



But are we as a corporate Bride making such an impression on those around us? I fear not, I fear the Church is indeed falling into its apostate era to the degree that it shall soon hit a point of no return. This then is my best first interpretation of the next phase of these dreams about the Crystal Spectre. I pick up with a dream I had in early November, and in the last installment of these reflections on this dream series, I'll consider the church's response.



I lay one morning in the near-dream state of initial consciousness and saw again the crystal spectre. I knew somehow that now was the time for that compassion I'd been forbidden to show earlier, time for it to rise and direct my actions. I flew toward him and touched under the one small point I'd peeled away earlier--that time I cleared a sliver of the husk on him, just enough change to prove that I could do more. But I hadn't been given permission to peel any more death off him, so I asked about it.

"You know I can peel this away. I offered to do so, but you never answered; you only looked at Him." I looked at Jesus, too, then, standing silent and watchful, the perpetrator of my power. "May I peel it away now?" I asked again.

He did not communicate his answer with human words. Somehow, I got the impression he disdained that form of communication unless absolutely necessary, preferring the spirit-image communication that is a more natural mode in his domain. It is indeed profoundly lovely. Was it God or was it him that sent this image to me in a recent dream, an image that would bubble up here as answer to my question? I don't know--but I know that the reflection on this back-dream was the answer to my question about whether to unencumber him from the death shroud.

In that answer-preceding-the-question dream, I'd been looking at an open book. All across the two pages of that book had been written the name Eileen. I know because every time the name appeared, it was underlined in red. When I woke, I felt a profound unction to learn what that name meant. It means: light, or bringer of light. You, O God, once named me Hepzibah melding strange immediate divine imagery with the pre-written text of Your Word. Who was giving me this name now? You or the Dark Spectre himself? Whatever, it little mattered, because the message was clear enough to prompt action.

I began to peel ever so gently the bulk of death off him. He didn't stop me. Death then began to come off him in sheets like rolls of insulation, only it was thickly packed brown deadness. A thing once meant to be supple and dewy with life was now stiff and dry, made of molecules clinging together in desperation, as though through sheer clumpiness it could retain some sense of its former self, despite the loss of moisture. When this death was cleared, I watched my hand drop the last sheet of it, and it fell away into the darkness below to a place too distant for me to see. (We were still in a black, undefined universe.)



I remembered how when I'd recently flown, I'd seen a rainbow outside the plane's window that looked to be in the shape of an eye. The verse popped into my mind. "In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump, for the trumpet shall sound and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed." This being is indeed intended to twinkle if the light that plays through him is subtle. And death has indeed been exchanged for the freedom of incorruption. But this one's incorruption was not presented as a new thing to put on, but rather a thing already there to be revealed. It is a bit of a difference from the Bible passage's reference to human expectation. "So when this corruptible shall put on incorrution and this mortal immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is thy sting? O hades, where is thy victory? The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, which giveth us victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."





I think here of the references to the hems of the garments of priests and of my own mantle spreading its borders in that other dream. All these things swell to proportions I can barely comprehend. Peter, too, describes the potentiality I saw in this newly cleared one when he says of prophecy that we heed it as "a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn and the day star arise in your hearts." And what of that hemline of the law? A case could be made that I respected it, but likewise that I desecrated it. All I can do is ride on Romans 13:10: "Love works no ill to his neighbor, therefore love is the fulfilling of the law." As long as I am neighbor to this Dark Spectre, I have no doubt I acted in love.



But after the clearing had been accomplished and light could again penetrate the body of this being, he turned his attention to the broken shells of spirit wheels that clung to either side of him. I had been given no instruction as to how to rectify the problem of the broken spirit. He grew angry, and his countenance--for he'd taken the form to bear a recognizable countenance here--showed his rage at being taken half-way to his goal and then dropped there. He felt I'd succeeded only in mocking him, a condition he'd deflected successfully for a long time. But this was not in my heart, and I asked him to be patient while I asked You about this problem.



I did come and ask You. When I returned, I came with this message from You to him: you have been given a great gift--an opportunity to experience hope and faith. The question now is not what I--a human--can further do for you, but what you can do with this gift from above? You have the hope of a renewal that is already started. But do you have the faith that He who began a good work in you would be faithful to complete it? (I wondered to myself: has an angel ever required faith such as this before--or even experienced a situation requiring it? I think not--they have their own form of faith, but it is nothing like this. I know faith without works is dead--so this faith needed a circumstance for proving itself valid, of working--or else the death being stripped away would never become anything more than a dream.) I said, "This is a work I cannot do; only your faith can accomplish it." Then I slipped away from the dream and woke to life again. I do not know what the Crystal Spectre will do now, but I hope for the best. I have, however, one more dream to consider. It touches on the response of the scribes and the Pharisees to my actions.

No comments: