Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Hem of His Robe...

...an aside from the series started by the last blog--for the sake of record-keeping. What is my latest "assignment"from God? Hems. I read of the border of the garment of the priests being a thing they "enlarged" all to make much of themselves before the people. It captured my attention in a new way during that session of Bible-reading. A few more references to hems gave the topic even more significance, until I recognized You were specifically directing my attention toward it. But I was busy and did not make a study of it while a few days passed. Then in the midst of a homeschooling session, my youngest came to me with his language workbook and asked, "Mom, is hem a noun or a verb? What does it mean?" He had to mark its function in a sentence--the moment was a palpably leading question to the spiritual student in me even as it was a functional one to the natural teacher in me. I went ahead and prioritized a Biblical study of hems and hemlines.

Here is what I found in an online concordance, from Blue Letter Bible's website from Vine's:
the extremity or prominent part of a thing, an edge. It could also be a tassel that Jews attached to their mantles to remind them of the law.

It is also one of those areas that is full spectrum in its potential meaning--as is so much of the truly prophetic message that comes from You. Your leadings are so awe-inspiring in that they ever respect the potentiality of free will, for it can be "good" in the sense that both the bleeding woman and others were healed if they so much as touched the border of Your garment. But it is also an example image used by You in Your list of woes for the scribes and Pharisees, as their enlarged fringed hemlines were in truth a sign of pretense that--along with other indicators--proved their works to be motivated by a worldly drive to receive the praise of men.

I also think of that dream I had about standing before You, and You fastened a mantle upon me, and all over the back of it were hands reaching upward out of its fabric. And when You had it fastened about my neck, I took off into the air in flight. And the mantle was miraculous in that its hem never left the ground, but rather expanded to fill all the sky behind and below me with those hands reaching up toward Your domain. Is it time for that dream to find some sort of human world realization? Help me understand Your leading, O God.

No comments: