Saturday, August 09, 2008

As Paul said to the Romans...

...God forbid! I offer this in answer to the progression of thought that might follow from my last two blogs, prompting the question: do you disrespect the office of pastor entirely now?

I was reminded of the preciousness of that office when it is accepted graciously and humbly by a person called to it when just yesterday I took my youngest to spend the night with a friend, whose father happens to be a pastor. I sat in their church's foyer, visiting with the pastor's wife, (who is also the mom of my son's friend.) In my estimation, I've operated in my gifts and received from theirs better with this couple in ministry than any but maybe one other couple. I am of the opinion that when people really "get" the idea of being one body but many parts and those parts operate correctly, it is as lovely a thing to be as is available to mankind. And when the people of God can navigate even those times when one part or another becomes a "less honorable" part requiring modesty in the integration of the whole, then all the more is God honored by those who perceive His plans and cooperate! And if one part has the discernment to suffer and rejoice with another part, what an amazing honor to God that can be! I know, because this family has operated alongside mine in this way, even as I believe we've operated this way alongside theirs, too.

Thank You, God, for giving me the privelege of being able to profess that I've indeed walked these verses with Your people!

I Corinthians 12:

18 But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19 If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, but one body.
21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don't need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don't need you!” 22 On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, 24 while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25 so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26 If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

No comments: