Sunday, May 04, 2008

Strength Renewed

My eldest son finished college for the summer on Friday, so he came home from his first year of college with the help of my husband who went to collect him and all his gear. My son's best friend also finished his first year of college this weekend, and my husband collected him and his gear too as their separate universities were on a straight trajectory from our home. I spoke to hubby on the phone as he was driving home and the two boys were tooling along behind in my son's beater Olds.

"I hope I stay conscious until I get there," said my husband.

Alarmed, I asked what he meant.

"I'm wedged in here so tightly with all this junk I can only take very shallow breathes, and I'm afraid I'll pass out," he said dryly. But all made it home safe and sound.

Now this weekend in our home are resting these two boys, my other two younger sons, my husband and one of his own best friends from his youth--yes, all of them are in our abode this weekend. A monsoon of testosterone. But so far I'm really enjoying watching the boys be boys, bickering about sports and politics and the economy... All I have to do is now and then throw out a stern, "Don't you tear up my throw pillows!" when they're wrestling as I write the grocery shopping list for stuff like brats and charcoal. All I have to do is holler "Don't forget we have church tomorrow!" as the four older ones head out the door for a father and adult-son type of night out, and I find I can hold my own alright.


Today, though, when we went to church, I was reminded once more how much we unwittingly influence the lives of others. I'm speaking of my oldest son's best friend and the influence I've had on his life. Maybe it was because my son's friend became his friend at my unction--as I was 7th-grade math teacher to both of them and thought they'd make good friends for each other, even though at the time they were half-appalled at my suggestion and didn't see my perspective on it at all; they were both 12 at the time. Maybe it was because this boy then ended up being a large part of our family's life and of my son's life from then on. Maybe it was because today is very nearly Mother's Day and is also near to this young man's own years-estranged mother's birthday. Maybe is was because of bits and pieces of all of these, but whatever the "because" might be, as we sang songs of worship standing there in the softly lit sanctuary, as I swayed and sang and smiled to God, I suddenly found myself pulled into an embrace. Surprised, I looked up and found this one so nearly like another son to me had tears streaming down his face as he impulsively grabbed me in that bear hug...a thing all the more poignant seeing he is a rather reserved young man generally speaking.



I've had a surprised sort of warmth in my heart all afternoon. When I consider all the young men I've known in my adult life--and that's a considerable number since I've spent my whole career-life teaching kids--of all of this parade of young men, I've never met one so pervasively afflicted with hardship and rejection over many years, well near all the years of his life. Never have I known one so stripped of the things most people consider to be psychological/spiritual necessities for a sane life. But he is not bitter, and he is not resentful. He does not go mysteriously out of his way to defeat himself, and so he beats the odds; for this young man isn't doing all the things statistics say he "should" be doing, rather he is moved to tears when given the opportunity to be alongside an almost-mom of his when she stands worshipping her God. And I know that while he is unique, he is certainly not completely unique. There are others like him, we just don't get to hear their stories very often, and so I commemorate his on behalf of all their stories.

While I can not say exactly what was in his mind...for by the time church was over, the moment had passed and the big boys were soon just big boys playing video games again; still...I have no doubt that the angels' strength was renewed for yet another day of their invisible spiritual work and warfare on our behalf, inspired by the sight of such a thing in the house of God!

No comments: