Monday, April 21, 2008

Why today...

...I'm so glad I'm not in relationship with the God of Oprah W. and Tolle.
This author, Tolle, that Winfrey touts so highly claims that the experience of God is all about what you feel, rather than being about what you believe. Well, all I can say is I'm SOOO glad it is not that way between me and my God, especially on a day like today.

On a day like today, I can go to my God and say:
...even though I've had a headache that could kill a horse today...
...and even though a prayer partner needs intercession, but has to keep it in the dark for now, so I don't know quite how "serious" this need is...
...and even though home kids today seemed bent on playing "who can we make look the most stupid" with their friends...
...and even though school kids today decided to misbehave in a frustratingly bizarre way that they'd never conceived of doing before...
...and even though I have to take a little one to baseball practice tonight and will sit there for an hour in a camp chair when I'd rather be lying down with a cool compress on my head...
...and even though my donation to my school's fundraising auction was lost--or maybe stolen--in the mail...
...and even though there was a malaise, an almost subliminal unsettled discouragement and tiredness over almost every adult I met today...

...still...

the feelings generated by all these "and evens" don't spell the way of things between Thee and me. I can go on what I believe. So even as I holler at my youngest to find his ball glove, and I swat at the fighting cats and I sigh deeply, longing for even 30 minutes when the kids don't come up, breathing down my neck as I type, asking, "How much longer ya'gonna be?" Even as all that goes on, I can stop and breathe and remind myself of what I believe, no matter what feelings come and go...

No comments: