Wednesday, June 09, 2010

What Do You Call Transformation?

In the last week or so, I've come across the song, Ring of Fire, at least 3 times. It was quoted in a book, Elijah asked something about it, and they played it at the ballpark between innings.

Today in my Bible-reading, the theme of fire and brimstone raining on those who would gather against the Lord in the latter days showed up in several different places. SO even though this morning I type to the sound of the first good soaking rain of the summer season, a nourishing rain--still, I know the word of the day belongs to Johnny Cash:

Love is a burning thing
and it makes a firery ring
bound by wild desire
I fell into a ring of fire

I fell into a burning ring of fire
I went down, down, down
and the flames went higher
and it burns, burns, burns the ring of fire
the ring of fire

the taste of love is sweet
when hearts like ours meet
I fell for you like a child
oh, but the fire went wild

I fell into a burning ring of fire
I went down, down, down
and the flames went higher
and it burns, burns, burns the ring of fire
the ring of fire

Johnny Cash's daughter, Roseanne, says her mother wrote it as she was falling in love with Johnny, but was burdened by his drug and alcohol addictions. Of the song's legacy, she claims: "The song is about the transformative power of love and that's what it has always meant to me and that's what it will always mean to the Cash children."

2 comments:

Shepherd Michael said...

Ahh! I grew up on Johnny Cash!
His was the first songs I learned to play on the guitar. And "Ring of Fire" was . . . and IS my favorite! And now, thanks to your post, I have more to treasure.

Shalom, Grace . . . & His Fire of Love encompass you!

Deb said...

Michael...
just now getting back here and seeing you posted a comment. I know several who are great fans of Johnny. I find the lyrics strangely haunting when read like a poem this way...