Saturday, October 18, 2008

The eagle and the cave-fish

There is no such thing as a proud holiness.
So said Oswald Chambers in the devotional I read this morning. The words ring loudly in the caverns of my mind, in the places unexplored as pride begs I look instead at the resplendent autumn that cloaks the ground above that dank darkness hidden below the surface. But You made them all--both the fields and the caves--as homes to Your uniquely-made creatures. Both the cunning eye of the eagle who sees nearly everything and the blind fish who see nothing and know nothing but the world of the dark cave, who would argue that no such world as the eagle's could possibly exist based on their experimental reality. You offer Your same essence to both, miraculously made fit for both to receive.

For some time, I've pondered the unwittingly sad and impertinent cry of the fish who can not dream beyond the cave. But...I fear too long I've presumed wrongly about that eagle. I've thought him to naturally consider his environment not only more lofty in actuality, but also more lofty in purpose than the humble domain of the sightless fish. In truth, if one can't see the beauty, the honorable humility fashioned into the one, then the holiness of the other is lost under a mantle of pride.

No comments: