Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Spider Takes Shape and Then Takes Shape Again

Back in February, I wrote about my spider visions. As is so often the case, the vision made itself a reality through both a reference to scripture and to another human life, brought beautifully alongside my own this time. My first look at the spider came with this entry: http://sdmen.blogspot.com/2008/02/spider-spider-burning-bright.html
Slowly, like melting snow, the pictures of glowing spiders and glowing dew on webs sank down into memory, until I came across these verses in Proverbs 30, which snapped them right back to the surface again:
24 There are four things which are little on the earth,
But they are exceedingly wise:

25 The ants are a people not strong,
Yet they prepare their food in the summer;
26 The [fn2] rock badgers are a feeble folk,
Yet they make their homes in the crags;
27 The locusts have no king,
Yet they all advance in ranks;
28 The [fn3] spider skillfully grasps with its hands,
And it is in kings' palaces.

(with footnote 3 saying that spider might also be interpreted lizard...a thing that will matter, too, shortly.)

I also found this verse:

Pro 19:12
The king's wrath [is] as the roaring of a lion; but his favour [is] as dew upon the grass.

So two things came from the images I saw...the glowing dew of the King's favor ont he web/home I weave and my placement in the domain of the King as a reaching spider being evidence of wisdom. These two verses suddenly gave perfect meaning to the weird images of glowing spiders and glowing dew on their webs.

But now, a new element is added, that has to do with the fact that the word spider could also be the word lizard...even that part now bears the fruit of meaning in my life...for I have a new friend that makes it real. As I realize so often, our God is not a God of waste, but of incredible efficiency. A couple of nights ago, a former co-worker who has also loomed large as a prayer partner in my life these last three years, he brought his new bride over to our house for dinner. We had brats, got the kids settled playing Tony Hawk or else riding bikes and then we adults went out to peruse the garden and sit on the swing set, enjoying a beautiful evening.

During the course of conversation, A. showed us the tattoo on her right calf that was of a large lizard...telling us that she'd been quite distressed--even to the point of tears--when she had it done, because despite the time she'd invested describing what she wanted, nevertheles the artist went off on a tangent of his own, even making footprints drag out behind the animal. She said it was too big and looked nothing like she'd asked to which he replied he'd decided to make it "more abstract."

I'm sharing this verse about the spider with her. It hits me that this verse makes us "sisters" before You in such a personal and playful way--from my spider-dreams to her tattoo--I'm reminded what a fun God You are...how ingenious, how transformational, making that which seems a "degrading" offense to the body into a mark of Your chuckling approval "...to him that believes."

Thank You for being like that, God! Help me be more like You in the way I view such things.

No comments: