Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A Prayer for My Love...

O God,
My husband prayed for me on here, a prayer given some time ago. I re-read it; and even though he doesn't visit here much anymore, I take comfort every now and then from the words he said in prayer over me. Now he needs someone to pray over him. So I ask some of the same things for him that he asked for me--

He's tired. He needs rest, but he has no corner of time in which to take it. The "sweat of his brow" isn't even affording my husband the fruit that You told Adam he'd harvest--and that was in the context of being cursed! Little wonder Scott begins to doubt that You are real. As he puts it, "I see myself as a pretty resilient guy (and I'd agree) but I've taken so many hits lately that I'm not sure I can get back up after another one."

For example, the fact that even as he is trudging through life not feeling very well ever since the car wreck (and not getting a concrete diagnosis as to why he still doesn't feel "quite right") even now he has to deal with weird things like the IRS making some error that in essence split him into two people. Because we reported his income on our joint return two years ago, the IRS looked at this "other Scott" and classified him as a person who never paid his taxes on the income his work-place reported and therefore this Scott now owes the government $12,000 in taxes and penalties for not filing his income taxes. Who in the world does this sort of thing happen to? Is it common, or is it as fantastic as it seems to me to be? An hour's investment on the phone got him through to someone who could "reportedly" correct this strange split-personality the government tried to lay on his tax-life, but the stress of finding that letter in the mail and knowing that once again a potentially devastating loss lay at our doorstep, and that once again we were at the mercy of others--at most all he could really do was to explain the truth of our situation to the IRS agent and provide documentation of our filed and accepted tax forms and hope for the best. Our own empowerment to make justice prevail was non-existent.

So he is worn down. Hit after hit--from the expected to the wildly unlikely--are taking the grit right out of his heart for the future. If he is a tool for the testing of the integrity of others--even to the point of testing the IRS, good grief--then I pray You'd lay him down and let him rest. He's worn down to the nub with all this use in Your hand--by His own estimation. You claim to know us better than we know ourselves, but he is so battered right now that he is struggling to hang on to his belief that You are there at all, let alone that You care about his welfare. O God, love my husband! Love his life! Make him lie down in green pastures and restore his soul!
In the name of my Lord who died to set men free!
Amen

No comments: