Saturday, July 14, 2007

Christ in a Stranger's Guise

I met a stranger yest'rene--
I put food in the eating place
Drink in the drinking place
Music in the listening place--
And in the name of the Triune
He blessed myself and my house,
My cattle and my loved ones.
And the lark sang in his song--
Often, often, often goes
The Christ in the stranger's guise.
(Alfred Burt Carol)

Several times following His resurrection, Christ appears to His disciples. Sometimes they recognize Him; sometimes they don't. Sometimes they think Him a ghost. His answer when they don't recognize Him is to break bread in their presence. His answer when they think Him a disembodied spirit is to eat broiled fish and honeycomb in their presence.

How do we do the work of God, ask the people in the days before He dies. The work of God, Jesus says, is to believe.

I think I may be coming to a place where I can understand how you see a fathomless good in what you feel called to believe, my husband. I understand more about the differences (and finally, the similarities) between this and what I feel called to believe. May God continue to help my unbelief.

I was told to look for Christ. You were told to look for that stranger's guise. Now we must believe for these to be somehow merged in our call to put "food and drink and music" in the place they belong before a stranger who bears a blessing. (smile)

No comments: