Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Open Door Saga Continues

Doors left open over night. (which made it in to the blog.)
A homeroom class that leaves the door of my building open to the great wide world multiple times every day, no matter what the weather.
Garage doors getting stuck open.
All these giving life a recurring motif over the last month or so.
And now this:

Two different times today young men stood while I walked from a great distance...at least 20 steps or so--stood to hold a door open for me. The first young man was very young, maybe 2nd or 3rd grade, and I don't know his name. I commented on his amazing politeness and patience for waiting while I walked the long way to the door. He lifted his chin and smiled largely, and for a moment he was like a son to me. The second young man is in 8th grade, and his name is Joseph. And I began to reflect:

So many of our life stories that we assume matter so much...but they matter so little.
So many of our life stories that we forget the moment they happen (and these boys have probably already forgotten holding the door for a woman at a distance today.)
We assume these stories matter so little...but they matter so much, because they speak things we don't hear, and they reveal things we don't see. And I began to wonder:

When the great equalization and justification and glorification (known to many as Judgment) comes, will we ever recover from the jolt we take in the course of resetting our priorities on things of eternal significance?


Mat 25:34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’

No comments: